CMS stands for “content management system,” and what we’re really talking about is web content management systems. But for the sake of simplicity, we'll just call these systems "CMS." ThatsUs.com uses an open-source CMS and web site framework called Joomla! to create web sites.
Web 2.0 & Joomla! Content Management Systems
Recently, the Internet has become the launching pad for a group of interrelated technologies known as "Web 2.0." You have probably heard this term thrown around before, but one of the common characteristics of Web 2.0 technologies is the separation of content and presentation layer. CMS is one of these technologies, so we will need to take a closer look at what we mean when we say "content layer" and "presentation layer."
- The presentation layer is the collective elements which make up what a user sees when they browse your web site. It is the collection of colors, font styles, and layout that makes up the graphical interface of a web site. The presentation layer is what your web site looks like.
- The content layer is the collection of words, pictures, and descriptive data that makes up the information contained in your web site. The content layer is what your web site says.
When a user opens one of your web pages, they are viewing the combination of the presentation and content layers. On a static website, these two layers are inseperable because the files which make up a static web site contain both presentation and content. This means that in order to change a paragraph of text, a picture, or even the spelling of a word, the person modifying the page needs to be competent in HTML, PHP, ASP or some other type of web coding.
A web site that includes a CMS separates these two layers. The presentation layer takes the form of a template, and the information which makes up the content layer is typically stored in a database. The CMS allows the web site owner to create, edit, or remove content in an intuitive interface, all without having to modify the presentation layer. In fact, a CMS web site can switch between multiple templates, giving the web site owner control over the presentation layer!
- Completely database driven site engines
- News, products, or services sections fully editable and manageable
- Topics sections can be added to by contributing Authors
- Fully customizable layouts including left, center, and right Menu boxes
- Browser upload of images to your own library for use anywhere in the site
- Dynamic Forum/Poll/Voting booth for on-the-spot results
- Runs on Linux, FreeBSD, MacOSX server, Solaris, and AIX
- Change order of objects including news, FAQs, Articles etc.
- Random Newsflash generator
- Remote Author submission Module for News, Articles, FAQs, and Links
- Object hierarchy - as many Sections, departments, divisions, and pages as you want
- Image library - store all your PNGs, PDFs, DOCs, XLSs, GIFs, and JPEGs online for easy use
- Automatic Path-Finder. Place a picture and let Joomla! fix the link
- News Feed Manager. Choose from over 360 News Feeds from around the world
- E-mail a friend and Print format available for every story and Article
- In-line Text editor similar to any basic word processor software
- User editable look and feel
- Polls/Surveys - Now put a different one on each page
- Custom Page Modules. Download custom page Modules to spice up your site
- Template Manager. Download Templates and implement them in seconds
- Layout preview. See how it looks before going live
- Banner Manager. Make money out of your site
Be sure to check out our portfolio of solutions we've developed for other successful small business owners. If you're ready to get started on your next project, why not request a quote? It's a quick, no-hassle process!Request A Quote